Current Government policy is that 95% of school zones will never have flashing lights. If you want flashing lights at your school you can have them NOW.
To arrange for flashing lights you need to do the following:
- Print off the following documents:
- Locate a home owner or business near each 40kmh sign who will agree to having a flashing lights sign on their property. Can be on either side of the road. Show them the information referred to above to help them decide.
- Ensure that there is a suitable location on each property for installing the sign. That means:
- Preferably right next to the 40kmh sign but can be up to 50m before or 25m after the sign.
- Must be visible at same time as the 40kmh sign.
- In an unobtrusive location (eg. in corner of property)
- Not obstructed by trees etc. The right-hand side of the road may give better visibility.
- Not too far from the road. Wide footpaths can be a problem.
- Running a 12v cable from a powerpoint to the sign is feasible (along a fence, underground etc).
- If power is a problem a solar powered option is available but not recommended.
- Arrange funding from a local business, club, community organisation, Council, P&C or other source.
- Send an email to
with the following details:
- Name of school
- Street name(s) of school zone
- Number of signs required
- Any special installation details (eg. attached to a shop awning)
- Contact details
Feel free to contact me on 0414-538-404 or (02) 9599-1811 to discuss the details or for assistance with any of the above.